Saturday, October 1, 2011

Expectations

My friend Ruth tells me that people and experiences come into our lives at a time when we need them.  I suspect learning, growing opportunities are always at our fingertips.  We just don't reach toward what we can't yet use.
Most of you know that my husband, Jack, has mild dementia. You may also remember that I am taking a class at the UofA on Indian Philosophy.  You've got to trust me here.  I'll weave all this together before we're finished.
See, here's the thing -- I've been having a rough time dealing with the changes in my hero, my husband.  Yeah, I know.  He's been having a few issues with the new limitations too.  The thing is, it finally hit me, I've been making life more difficult for both of us by mourning for what-used-to-be instead of enjoying what is.
Buddhism teaches that we can never stand in the same river twice.  What I've come to understand is, while I'm in the river, at each moment, I can, and am in fact required, to find pleasure in this transitory experience. This enjoyment of the moment is only possible when I release all expectation.  Because with expectation comes dissapointment which blocks my joy.
It's hard to live in each moment.  Part of me, a big part of me, is surprised at each new change that comes along, wants to scream and rant and fight against the flow.  So, pray for me people.  Light the incense.  Whisper my name in the ear of Jesus and Buddha and the universe. 

3 comments:

  1. This is love. This is beauty. In all its aching reality. I'm so glad you're in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about the concept of living in the moment too, Pam. It's not easy, but the first step is deciding that's what you will do. You are a beautiful human being, and I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even this very moment is a gift, that's why they call it the present. I know it's cliche' but it's still true.
    I agree with Jan. It is hard. I will keep you and Jack in my prayers as well.

    ReplyDelete