Monday, July 9, 2012

But, I Didn't Pinkie Swear


How much of what we experience do we have a right to share?  Or to put it another way
 I’ll keep your secret.  Unless it’s funny.  Or profound.  Or quirky.  Or sad.  If the personal revelation you share calls forth any of those aforementioned emotions?  Well, then, sooner or later, you’ll probably see a twisted version of the tale in something I write.

For me, this creates the biggest challenge when it concerns one particular person in my life.  See this person is funny and profound and quirky and, sometimes, sad.  And he has been very clear that he does not want me to ever use anything he’s said in anything I write.  Which, because I love and respect him, I agree to do.  But, I’m here to tell you, it just about kills me.  Just yesterday he made the funniest observation I’ve heard in years.

Which I’m not going to share with you.

Do you think God will give me extra credit for keeping this confidence?  You writers out there, how do you handle it when a person with whom you share an experience is adamant about not wanting those insights or feelings shared on the written page? 

3 comments:

  1. That's a tough one for us writers, Pam, and I admire you for keeping your word. (Doesn't surprise me one bit though.)

    Do you know how long most women keep a secret? An average of 32 minutes.

    But you can tell me. I won't tell a soul. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men probably do keep a secret longer than women. But I maintain it doesn't count because they weren't paying attention and didn't hear the revelation to begin with.

      Delete
    2. And we're not really talkers, unless it's about sports or female anatomy!

      Delete